Here is a log with relevant legal, regulatory, law enforcement and business risk milestones in the race of crypto-currencies to maturity with links to trusted sources.
This October was an extremely quiet month. The number of crypto-events reached a 17-month low.
The Key OCTOBER 2014 Crypto-Events were:
- 10/6/14 – Central banks of Serbia and Portugal warn bitcoin users
- 10/9/14 – Phillipine government bill could pave way for bitcoin-backed money
- 10/12/14 – European prosecutors launch project to combat online dark markets
- 10/27/14 – FinCEN rules Bitcoin payment processors, exchanges are money transmitters
- 10/28/14 – Norwegian banks say no to Bitcoin businesses; Justcoin exchange closes
For ease of tracking I’ve decided on the following discrete categories to classify all events:
- Banking: Refers to decisions made or stances taken by banks and other traditional financial institutions with respect to crypto-ventures, including adopting a digital currency strategy
- Businesses: Includes decisions made by operators and businesses as a result of regulatory pressure or other risks facing them, as well as overall market-related news
- Enforcement Actions: Includes actual law enforcement actions on virtual currency operators anywhere in the world
- Rules & Regs: Refers to decisions made or stances taken by regulators, supervisors and policy-makers around the world
Please point me to any events that you consider important and would like to see on the log.