Here is a log with relevant legal, regulatory, law enforcement and business risk milestones in the race of crypto-currencies to maturity with links to trusted sources.
September was also a very quiet month. The number of crypto-events reached a 14-month low.
The Key SEPTEMBER 2014 Crypto-Events were:
- 9/11/14 – Bank of England: Bitcoin could disrupt UK monetary policy
- 9/11/14 – Spain cracks down on bitcoin gambling loopholes
- 9/16/14 – Bangladesh Central Bank: cryptocurrency use is a ‘punishable offense’
- 9/21/14 – Spain considering Bitcoin as an electronic payment system
- 9/22/14 – Belgian tax body: Bitcoin trades not subject to VAT
- 9/23/14 – US government shuts down embattled mining firm Butterfly Labs
- 9/24/14 – Liberty Reserve IT manager pleads guilty to money laundering charges
- 9/26/14 – Swedish Central Bank research: bitcoin hasn’t affected the economy
For ease of tracking I’ve decided on the following discrete categories to classify all events:
- Banking: Refers to decisions made or stances taken by banks and other traditional financial institutions with respect to crypto-ventures, including adopting a digital currency strategy
- Businesses: Includes decisions made by operators and businesses as a result of regulatory pressure or other risks facing them, as well as overall market-related news
- Enforcement Actions: Includes actual law enforcement actions on virtual currency operators anywhere in the world
- Rules & Regs: Refers to decisions made or stances taken by regulators, supervisors and policy-makers around the world
Please point me to any events that you consider important and would like to see on the log.