Here is a log with relevant legal, regulatory, law enforcement and business risk milestones in the crypto-currency race to maturity with links to trusted sources.
The Key August 2013 Crypto-Events were:
- 8/1/2013 – Tangible Cryptography (FastCash4Bitcoins) suspends Bitcoin-related transactions
- 8/2/2013 – Federal Judge declares Bitcoin a currency
- 8/12/2013 – New York State Department of Financial Services examines virtual currency practices
- 8/12/2013 – New York subpoenas Bitcoin firms in proble on criminal risk
- 8/12/2013 – U.S. Congress starts looking into Bitcoin
- 8/14/2013 – Top US compliance experts and industry players meet in first virtual currencies compliance conference [speakers and some presentations are listed here.]
- 8/15/2013 – Commonwealth Bank closes CoinJar’s business and founders’ personal accounts
- 8/18/2013 – Germany officially recognizes Bitcoin as ‘private money’
- 8/19/2013 – Mercatus Center publishes a Bitcoin Primer for Policymakers, a fine compendium of its history to date
- 8/21/2013 – Idaho Department of Finance considers Bitcoin as stored value and subject to licensing in that state
- 8/24/2013 – Tradehill moves Bitcoin accounts to friendly credit union
- 8/25/2013 – Research paper concludes traceability of Bitcoins is a financial crime deterrant
- 8/30/2013 – Tradehill temporarily suspends trading due to regulatory issues at credit union holding funds
Please point me to any events that you consider important and would like to see on the log.